Summer is just around the corner. The dawn of the season brings sunny days, relaxing at the beach, warm gulf breezes, and cranking your air conditioner to stay cool indoors. Your summer preparations should ensure your HVAC system operates at peak performance during the hot and humid Florida weather. Fortunately, there are simple steps you can take to ensure your system runs more efficiently year-round.
6 Ways to Prep Your AC System for Summer
- Replace the air filter. While not specific to summer, changing your air filter is an easy and quick way to improve air quality and performance. Check your filter monthly and change it if needed to keep the air flowing efficiently through your AC system. Clogged or dirty filters make your air conditioner work harder than necessary and cause premature breakdowns. If you’ve neglected your air filters, now is a great time to install new ones. If they are dirty, change them.
- Check the ducts. Inspecting and fixing leaks in your AC system makes it more reliable, cools your home more efficiently in warmer weather, and provides cleaner indoor air. While your air filter helps trap dust, mold, and other airborne contaminants, it does not entirely eliminate them. If you haven’t cleaned them in a while (or ever), your ducts are likely filthy, potentially serving as a breeding ground for dust mites, insects, and rodents. It is crucial to inspect them during spring cleaning.
- Clear the area around your AC unit. During the fall and winter, trash, yard waste, and other debris accumulate around your air conditioning system. Your AC unit needs two feet of space to function correctly, so it’s essential that the area is clear of debris and plants.
- Install a programmable thermostat. If your AC system doesn’t have one, installing a programmable thermostat before summer arrives is worth installing. Since you’ll have control over your home’s comfort and can configure it to run at a higher temperature when you’re not home, you’ll save energy resulting in lower utility bills.
- Schedule an AC service appointment. Preventive maintenance is a great way to detect and fix problems before they get worse. Once summer starts, it will be more difficult for a technician to get out to your home. Avoid the rush by scheduling a service appointment in the spring when the AC service providers aren’t as busy.
- Upgrade your AC system. Now is the best time to upgrade your AC system to prepare for the summer. Replacing your current system with a more powerful, newer model will save money over the long term because the device uses less energy! Plus, it will cool your home more efficiently.
Your Local AC Experts
APAC Air is a family-owned heating and air conditioning business that offers a wide range of services, including repairs, system maintenance, and total system replacement. We focus on high-quality work along with excellent customer service. We do it right, guaranteed!
Don’t let a faulty AC ruin your summer— call us at 239-800-4574 to schedule an appointment or request a free quote.